Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

5 Years App.Cat - 1 Year Lounge
We started the Lounge because Facebook serves crap Martinis and is too noisy to communicate, learn, and share in a civil manner.
A hefty 1200 contributors and readers make this a great place for App.Cat aficionados. Help us by actively participating in discussions. Grab a drink and grow with us!
New here? This is Support on Steroids! Click to read how the Lounge works...
Welcome to the Lounge
Thousands of posts are at your disposal to find quick answers to questions others have asked before.
Use the search box to find the answer to anything.

Also our Knowledge Base lists hundreds of expertly written articles. Enjoy!
For security reasons -and to provide transparency to non customers- this forum does not use your App.Cat login. Log in here using your previous Lounge password or a social network id to see all topics.
Click to read how the Lounge works...

HERE IS HOW I STARTED SELLING APPS & GREW MY BUSINESS.....

EricEdgeEricEdge Lounge Lizzard Supreme Posts: 274
edited October 2012 in Sell
HERE IS HOW I STARTED SELLING APPS AND GREW MY BUSINESS: Other than the normal channels of social media - the best results I have had, has always been the POWER of Word-of-Mouth.

Over time I designed a package to present to businesses on an A4 sheet of paper, listing all the benefits of the App, listing my services, what I will help them with and pricing.

I made an App for my own business with ALL the features, many calls to action and shared my App with potential clients.

After I sold/made some Apps for business, I would promote their Apps instead of mine to potential clients - because their LIVE App was a naturally powerful testimonial without an actual testimonial - The reason for this action was because their businesses App was the Social Proof the new prospect needed and the potential client always had the option to call that business and ask their opinion of the App, which excited them all. Then the momentum carried on and on and continues to grow.

Comments

• BenBen Bouncer Posts: 334
    Word of mouth is the best form of marketing - it makes your job of "closing" so much easier when you've had that introduction made by someone the person knows and trusts.
    Keep the great comments coming, Eric!
  • SarahSkinnyGoldSarahSkinnyGold Cigarette Girl Posts: 99
    Yay @EricEdge. Great article. As seen elsewhere on the Lounge: Get the first "Tattoo Parlor" in town to be in your portfolio and before you know it you sell 20 apps to competing inkers...Social Proof and penetration industries from within. Key.
  • EricEdgeEricEdge Lounge Lizzard Supreme Posts: 274
    That is so true @SarahSkinnyGold. Social Proof is a very POWERFUL FORCE.
  • AlexAlex Lounge Lizzard Posts: 2
    Anyone knows how can I change my my profile name on this board? How do I cancel and reopen with another name? Thanks.
  • EricEdgeEricEdge Lounge Lizzard Supreme Posts: 274
    Hello @MyApp399, send a direct message to @ToddGoldstein of what you want and he will change it for you. Cheers, Eric
  • AlexAlex Lounge Lizzard Posts: 2
    Thank you Eric!
  • ToddGoldsteinToddGoldstein Bouncer, Bar Keep Posts: 695
  • TomcatTomcat Lounge Lizzard Posts: 2
    To anyone living in the states who sells these apps, dod you obtain a FEIN or a business license to market the apps as a business?
  • Tim LefeverTim Lefever Lounge Lizzard Posts: 12
    How do I put a app in google play!
    @TimLefever. This is off-topic. You may start a new thread with this question.
    In short: Put your Android App into Google Play via their Developer Site. Done.
  • hAPPyhAPPy Lounge Lizzard Posts: 28
    EricEdge said:

Most people/businesses don't have any idea how much an App is worth - nor do the App sellers. Because of that, you are ALL doing yourselves and injustice selling so cheap....a person/business would have to spend $20,000 to $50,000 for an Apple version and the same for Android. The average quality custom built App is $85,000 to $140,000US.

@EricEdge You're spot on. When I had sought quotes for a Wedding related checklist app of a popular UK-based app dev company, we were quoted $60,000, and about $30,000 from an India-based app dev company, and the latter was based on a hybrid partnership arrangement.

I imagine if we created a laundry list of features App.cat apps offer, then sought quotes from North American app dev companies, we'd be shocked at the cost of development, 3rd party licensing and turnaround time for Apple Developers IDs, and time to market.

I know my fees for my first app client is way low. Partly because I wanted to close it fast and have a strong case study to present to other local restaurant/bar/pub owners. Plus, I've known the owners for 8 years, which still doesn't justify massively discounting, but its my story and I'm sticking with it :-)

Interestingly, my client had asked if the name of his restaurant on his splash page could be customized to use his logo's font, replacing the need to use the rounded square icons, and I realized that I won't be able to be flexible with certain layout requests. On the other hand, I need to help biz owners understand that's not the deal breaker, as the other features are what's important to conversion/engagement :-)
  • joemadden1941joemadden1941 Lounge Lizzard Posts: 110
    edited November 2012
    Great advice EricEdge; Could you post some examples of customers replies of how much their business gained in monetary sales from the AppCat app they purchased at these prices. I haven't had any thank you notes from any of my low cost apps from excited owners telling me how much increase their business has enjoyed from customers coming in and saying they found them thru their smartphone app. I would be elated to hear that my $3000 app has increased their volume by an equal number. My experience in app making has not, so far, given me the confidence to ask over $99. If this could be that successful of a business, I would retire today and spend my time selling apps. The fun is there, I feel like AppCat is a perfect vehicle to learn, and keep expenses low helping small businesses establish a footprint in a new form of promoting their business thru smartphone apps, plus a website that they never thought they could afford. They are doing a wonderful job of advancing the tools for us, but, I still want to see some more advancements in the programing to make the app and website more visible on the internet. Could anyone out there post some success stories with real figures of monetary gains made by customers and the price they paid for their app. As I have said before I can barter some services for an app, but when it comes to asking for up-front money for an app, not yet made, prospects in my part of the world need to hear about more businesses successful with my app.
  • Terry TrainerTerry Trainer Lounge Lizzard Posts: 198
    Great Stuff @EricEdge, I reckon that deserves an Insightful !
    Please keep them coming.
    @joeMadden1941.
    I still want to see some more advancements in the programing to make the app and website more visible on the internet.
    YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING!

That's not our job. That's yours.

We give you an awesome tool to instantly make apps and websites.
    We do NOT sell you SEO and marketing packages, though our apps and sites ARE optimized to be found and liked by Google; A feature included for free but not much longer if this kind of ignorance persists. But if you don't create enough relevance for Google to interpret your apps as important you'll be invisible.

Do NOT confuse Apples with Pears here, Joe.
    Making apps is NOT "instantly becoming visible".

This isn't some kind of magic box that just propels you to stardom.
    You are fundamentally misunderstanding our product and how it fits in with other promotional strategies.

To speak in your language:
    If you build a restaurant in the middle of the forrest you can't blame the carpenter if no diners show up. OK?
  • Terry TrainerTerry Trainer Lounge Lizzard Posts: 198
    Hi @joemadden1941,
    Look up SEO in google I forget what they call it but it gives lots of help in lifting your website in Google standings, mainly lots of mention of key words, and lots of links to other sites F'book etc.
    I can dig around to find more details if you like.