Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

5 Years App.Cat - 1 Year Lounge
We started the Lounge because Facebook serves crap Martinis and is too noisy to communicate, learn, and share in a civil manner.
A hefty 1200 contributors and readers make this a great place for App.Cat aficionados. Help us by actively participating in discussions. Grab a drink and grow with us!
New here? This is Support on Steroids! Click to read how the Lounge works...
Welcome to the Lounge
Thousands of posts are at your disposal to find quick answers to questions others have asked before.
Use the search box to find the answer to anything.

Also our Knowledge Base lists hundreds of expertly written articles. Enjoy!
For security reasons -and to provide transparency to non customers- this forum does not use your App.Cat login. Log in here using your previous Lounge password or a social network id to see all topics.
Click to read how the Lounge works...

PUSH Notifications - TIPS!!!

EricEdgeEricEdge Lounge Lizzard Supreme Posts: 274
edited October 2012 in Promote
- ONLY send one notification no more than once every hour or it will be classed as SPAM.

- Keep the message really short and to the point.

- Chose a good day and think about the time to send your message depending on what you have to offer.

- Experiment with times. For example some restaurants might show better results for Lunch Special Messages or 2 for 1 coffee deals at 9 am so people can invite others which requires some planning. Others could profit from sending a message just before lunch at around 11am when "lone diners" are really hungry...

- Offer a bonus for showing them your Message. This way you can measure the success of this campaign method and condition them to pay attention to your announcements.

- If you include an offer/discount place a reasonable limit to it. For example: Buy 1 Coffee Get 1 Free for the first 50 customers after 10 am today!

- Don't repeat yourself in the message - you only have 115 characters to use for your message. Be clear and precise! Test the wording with some friends for their suggestions and ideas.

Comments

• BenBen Bouncer Posts: 334
    Great advice Eric - agree on the timing, don't send on a Monday at 9am. Everyone has just come back from the weekend and probably doesn't want to be annoyed. They just want their coffee! :)

Also: tracking, as you touched on. Have the business "track" the offer. Even just a piece of paper next to the cash register which allows the person to put a "1" on every time the offer is claimed. End of the day, count up and see how many people came in.
  • EricEdgeEricEdge Lounge Lizzard Supreme Posts: 274
    Absolutely right @BenCrockyKepinski. Tracking is vitally important and something I've been working on and teaching small business owners.

Sure we know the number of downloads and which country, but we App makers never really knows the statistics and demographic information of the end user. Like for example, how many people call to make a booking at a restaurant or respond to a call-to-action etc.

In my opinion, the main value we can offer is not limited to just providing an amazing App to small business, but more importantly, learning and teaching how they can get the most out of their App as an effective communication and marketing tool.
  • ImGoingAppsImGoingApps Lounge Lizzard Posts: 100
    I tell my clients to choose only days and times I have selected, this way I can send several out at once for different clients. I'd love to see the people who opt out after receiving push.
    Thanks @ImGoingApps. Do you get many opting out?
  • ToddGoldsteinToddGoldstein Bouncer, Bar Keep Posts: 695
    Might be interesting to include opt-out metrics in your professional stats package. We'll look into it.

Are you guys taking advantage of the all-in-one notification center? Are you just sending Push or do you also cross-post to Facebook, Twitter, and Email my checking those boxes so the message goes out to all those portals at once?
    I gave ALL options a try and facebook had an active link to App.Cat in the title sending people to the App.Cat website and would reveal to my clients the cost of the software. And I can't have that as my services are not cheap.

I did send a notice about it to support about removing the reference to App.Cat with Push notices etc and they replied they couldn't do anything about it - which I personally disagree. I realized I was just being fobbed off.

All other push options work fine - just the reference of App.Cat on facebook prevents me promoting it to clients.
    Interesting Sarah! We find a lot of our customers (ssshhhh... over 60%!) use App.Cat and aren't afraid to show it. I've spoken with some of these people and they sell their expertise and service, not the actual "app". In other words - they don't care if their customer knows it was made by App.Cat as they are selling the convenience of them making and updating (etc) the app.
    It's always great to hear how each person market's their "service".
  • hAPPyhAPPy Lounge Lizzard Posts: 28
    @Edge or @Ben, I received a warning popup in App.cat on my MBA to not push more than 1 per hour, otherwise it can be construed as spam. However, my first push was for my restaurant client's first location at 10am, and was going to push another for their second location at 10:15am - using an app per location.

Is the guideline not to push more than one per hour for me, the App.cat publisher, OR per app? (Hope its not the former. And if its the latter, I don't understand why I got that warning popup. Any clues/tips? Thanks!)
    It's for your entire account... if you want to run the risk of getting labelled as spammer - we can integrate your own SMS system. Drop a line with our people and they can explain it in more detail.
  • hAPPyhAPPy Lounge Lizzard Posts: 28
    @Ben Ahhh, ok that helps - thanks for the clarity! I'll check in with Support to get more info anyway. Thanks!