Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

5 Years App.Cat - 1 Year Lounge
We started the Lounge because Facebook serves crap Martinis and is too noisy to communicate, learn, and share in a civil manner.
A hefty 1200 contributors and readers make this a great place for App.Cat aficionados. Help us by actively participating in discussions. Grab a drink and grow with us!
New here? This is Support on Steroids! Click to read how the Lounge works...
Welcome to the Lounge
Thousands of posts are at your disposal to find quick answers to questions others have asked before.
Use the search box to find the answer to anything.

Also our Knowledge Base lists hundreds of expertly written articles. Enjoy!
For security reasons -and to provide transparency to non customers- this forum does not use your App.Cat login. Log in here using your previous Lounge password or a social network id to see all topics.
Click to read how the Lounge works...

What do you use to build your website?

Terry TrainerTerry Trainer Lounge Lizzard Posts: 198
Just wondered what other App-kittens are using to build their website?
AT the moment i am using Weebly but find it a little restricting.

Comments

• hAPPyhAPPy Lounge Lizzard Posts: 28
    I've been a self-hosted WordPress user since 2005, so its been my go-to platform. Plus, I do like the control and freedom I get from it, so it works for me.

Weebly is good to get something going, if you don't want to tinker with it much. Unlike self-hosted WordPress sites, you don't have to mess with hosting, database installations, themes, plugins, customization etc. But you don't have as much control either.

Hope this adds value to the conversation :-)
  • ToddGoldsteinToddGoldstein Bouncer, Bar Keep Posts: 695
    For my personal projects I use tumblr and tweak the template to look less like a blog and more like a website. Their iOS app works well, too for mobile changes to your site. Personally hate WordPress because my brain can't handle the convolution but fully understand someone like @hAPPy liking it if they were part of it for a long time and grew with it.
  • Terry TrainerTerry Trainer Lounge Lizzard Posts: 198
    Hmm control versus simplicity... Thanks @hAPPy
    But i must admit to feeling my mind close up when I looked at wordpress...
  • WickedWicked Lounge Lizzard Posts: 160
    I am with ToddGoldstein with wordpress, a little daunting when starting out. A good Html platform I found was with Vodahost and they offer bluevoda. You can customise it however you want and it is easy to use. I have a few websites, from wordpress, blue voda and flash sites with other businesses I have. Always go back to blue voda for being versatile. You can add memberships and everything with this. Go to vodahost and check it out. You can pay for hosting month by month as well not too much.
  • hAPPyhAPPy Lounge Lizzard Posts: 28
    @ToddGoldstein Tumblr has done a great job with their mobile app for publishing to your site/profile. WordPress' mobile app, not so much. Though I'm mostly publishing from my Macbook Air when I need to publish a post that includes a photo/video and text content with links.

@TerryTrainer Also consider https://posterous.com/ for ease of publishing, even through their mobile app. Free. Plus you can direct your domain there :-)
    thanks @hAPPy Will have a look :)
  • WickedWicked Lounge Lizzard Posts: 160
    edited February 2016
    @TerryTrainer, Everyone has ideas, at the end of the day WHAT do you want to accomplish in your site. This would determine what to use and how to go about it.
    Hi @Wicked
    This was a general query to see what people are using.
    I guess I want to do what most people here do with their website, sell things namely Apps.
    I also want to be able to create websites for customers who want to sell other things.
    I can use Weebly and work within its limitations, and that led me to wonder about other people and what they are using.
    Oh and BlueVoda doesn't work on the Mac.