Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

5 Years App.Cat - 1 Year Lounge
We started the Lounge because Facebook serves crap Martinis and is too noisy to communicate, learn, and share in a civil manner.
A hefty 1200 contributors and readers make this a great place for App.Cat aficionados. Help us by actively participating in discussions. Grab a drink and grow with us!
New here? This is Support on Steroids! Click to read how the Lounge works...
Welcome to the Lounge
Thousands of posts are at your disposal to find quick answers to questions others have asked before.
Use the search box to find the answer to anything.

Also our Knowledge Base lists hundreds of expertly written articles. Enjoy!
For security reasons -and to provide transparency to non customers- this forum does not use your App.Cat login. Log in here using your previous Lounge password or a social network id to see all topics.
Click to read how the Lounge works...

"Leasing" Apps vs Selling Apps

2»

Comments

• MoniqueCloutierMoniqueCloutier Lounge Lizzard Posts: 9
    What is the going rate for Apps you designed and are selling outright through the App.Cat hosting platform?

What is the going rate for Apps you designed and are leasing to clients through your App.Cat account.

Does anyone have a list of the costs of each comparison?

I am looking for a rundown of all the costs that I the seller would need to pay/charge/cover in order to design, deliver and maintain forevermore an App for a client.

Are there any contingencies I need to be aware of thinking long term?

I too am worried about the concept of charging clients for something that I don't really have control over like hosting their Apps long term.

If the App ever needs to be updated, even just the client's address, does that mean that every time I create an App, I need to consider charges for updates (not all inclusive, I see this being too large a variable over time) or can a client do any updates on their own?

This is where I get more confused... how you can even really sell something outright if it needs App.Cat hosting and such? ...

If you sell an App outright, does that mean they need their own platform somewhere to host it? Can they separately gain access to App.Cat as the owner of an App developed through App.Cat for them? Where do they take the App? If the App is developed through App.Cat, is it automatically compatible if the client wants to use it in some other way since they bought it outright?
  • Terry TrainerTerry Trainer Lounge Lizzard Posts: 198
    LOL @MoniqueCloutier, I have been wondering that too.
    Good to see you in the lounge.
  • MrAppMrApp Lounge Lizzard Supreme Posts: 309
    edited June 2016
    Hi @MoniqueCloutier I have tried to answer your questions the best I can, please be aware I do not work for app cat, these are my answers as I see them as an app user.

What is the going rate for Apps you designed and are selling outright through the App.Cat hosting platform? --> Each to their own when it comes to this, look at your competition in your area and work out a rate.

What is the going rate for Apps you designed and are leasing to clients through your App.Cat account. --> The same applies as I mentioned above.

Does anyone have a list of the costs of each comparison? --> Im not sure people will give away their rates.

I am looking for a rundown of all the costs that I the seller would need to pay/charge/cover in order to design, deliver and maintain forevermore an App for a client. --> Get yourself in your app software and do the costings, not meaning to sound rude but you can do this yourself.

Are there any contingencies I need to be aware of thinking long term? --> YES, Your business plan runs alongside app cats business plan, so make sure you have Terms and Conditions in place that state your apps will be closed down if YOUR business (app cat) is to ever stop trading, but don't mention app cat in your terms because the last thing you want to do is tell your customers where you get your apps from because then they don't need you anymore.

I too am worried about the concept of charging clients for something that I don't really have control over like hosting their Apps long term. --> this is something that unfortunately part of the software, im not sure of app cats stability when it comes to their business but I can tell you they have never let us down yet.

If the App ever needs to be updated, even just the client's address, does that mean that every time I create an App, I need to consider charges for updates (not all inclusive, I see this being too large a variable over time) or can a client do any updates on their own? --> This is where YOUR business model comes into play, I charge X amount for a 12 months service charge which allows my clients to make any updates to their apps and at anytime without having to worry about charges. Unfortunately the client cant make these changes and will need to request any updates from you.

This is where I get more confused... how you can even really sell something outright if it needs App.Cat hosting and such? --> I understand this and I know some app cats rent their apps out instead rather than selling them but lets be honest it doesn't really matter what you do, if app cat was to stop trading your apps will stop working if you rent them or sell them so this is something you need to look at when building your Terms and conditions and business model.

If you sell an App outright, does that mean they need their own platform somewhere to host it? NO, you sell the app under the understanding that YOU as a company will be hosting it, again work this into your T&C.

Can they separately gain access to App.Cat as the owner of an App developed through App.Cat for them? --> No not unless you give it to them and I don't recommend this at all.

Where do they take the App? --> The app will stay hosted by your app software, your clients wont see this nor will they see the app source code.

If the App is developed through App.Cat, is it automatically compatible if the client wants to use it in some other way since they bought it outright? --> No, as mentioned above the app will stay on app cats servers. You need to work your business model so your clients are aware they get to use the features you provide.

I hope this helped but from what questions you have asked I strongly recommend you spend some time going through the app software and getting to know what it can do. Don't just jump in head first because then you will get yourself in a position where you cant answer any questions your customers may have, sit down and work on your terms and conditions before selling/renting apps.

Regards
    J

I am very happy that I asked my questions because I believe that like Terry and I a few others probably had the same sort of questions and either didn't know how to word their thoughts or they just didn't want anyone to think them more novice. Further, I think it is important that people get to read how you responded because you explained the business concept well.
    When I was asking about a cost rundown, I was more getting at the following.

I want to ensure that I am fully aware and prepared for all the costs associated with pursuing this business concept and in which direction I should go as well as which options I should take advantage of and what their associated premiums, features and flexibility they may add.

I thought this supportive community could help answer some qualifying questions for me.

I saw in the sales page that it was a one time low fee for App.Cat software. I would choose the unlimited option. Now is that really all the costs I would have to cover if I were to sell apps? My thought is not really. It would depend on options I choose to take advantage of ... but I am looking to know what these possible costs would be is what I was trying to ask about.

I was fishing to learn more about the cost to go into renting/leasing and separately to sell apps outright to clients.

I also saw a reference to ... Move app away from App.Cat ... wondering about what that option is used for.
  • MrAppMrApp Lounge Lizzard Supreme Posts: 309
    Hi @MoniqueCloutier

Sorry when I replied I was under the impression you had the software, if this isn't the case then I apologies for some of my answer :-)

When you buy the app software you can build unlimited apps, I believe this is around $199. With this you get the main features, also app cat offer some extras that are charged. You can pass the charge to your customers and like most app cats add a little extra so you make some money. The extra features you can buy are only small charges so don't be scared away from that, plus these are extras and do NOT need to be used.

The question you asked about moving away from app.cat is the same as I mentioned in the private message I sent you, you can change your app domain name so it doesn't point to app.cat and instead use a white label domain so your customers don't see you use the software. These are charged but do what I do and choose one white label domain to use and add that into your app cost.

I hope this helps :-)
  • AlainAlain Lounge Lizzard Posts: 111
  • Terry TrainerTerry Trainer Lounge Lizzard Posts: 198
    @MoniqueCloutier
    Hi. when I joined Appcat, I chose the $199 version as mentioned by @MrApp.
    This lets me make unlimited Apps. IF you want to hide the name AppCat then you pay about $100 per App you hide (depending on what name you select to hide it under).
    There are other options that range in cost from $10 to $50. I just bundle them all into the cost of the App by adding $250, then adding my margin.
    There have recently been two fantastic advertising methods introduced. Each cost $50. These i will be treating as an optional add-on service outside the $250.
    My aim is to build up so that I can get the white label option (5 * $1000) but i am not there yet.
    I suggest that you start at the $199 option, get to know, and become fluent in, the system then go from there.
    Good luck with your endeavours. It is GREAT fun.
  • DanteleachDanteleach Lounge Lizzard Posts: 22
    Well, not executives. Some of the property owners are getting cold feet about this deal now. But i have help from the management company who gets a cut, so i'm not worrying much. It is truly an experience in itself. Lol