Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

5 Years App.Cat - 1 Year Lounge
We started the Lounge because Facebook serves crap Martinis and is too noisy to communicate, learn, and share in a civil manner.
A hefty 1200 contributors and readers make this a great place for App.Cat aficionados. Help us by actively participating in discussions. Grab a drink and grow with us!
New here? This is Support on Steroids! Click to read how the Lounge works...
Welcome to the Lounge
Thousands of posts are at your disposal to find quick answers to questions others have asked before.
Use the search box to find the answer to anything.

Also our Knowledge Base lists hundreds of expertly written articles. Enjoy!
For security reasons -and to provide transparency to non customers- this forum does not use your App.Cat login. Log in here using your previous Lounge password or a social network id to see all topics.
Click to read how the Lounge works...

Are you using the cool "download my app"-buttons?

SarahSkinnyGoldSarahSkinnyGold Cigarette Girl Posts: 99
edited October 2012 in Promote
I am visiting websites by folks with app.cat apps and many of them don't have those buttons up. Many of them don't even link to their apps. Why is that?

Comments

• ToddGoldsteinToddGoldstein Bouncer, Bar Keep Posts: 695
    I've noticed the same. I'd also be interested if anyone is actively using the free device detection script that lets your own website act as an app (details here...)
  • ImGoingAppsImGoingApps Lounge Lizzard Posts: 100
    I like to use the support local ! what a way to get the community involved !
  • joemadden1941joemadden1941 Lounge Lizzard Posts: 110
    OK. I'm stupid!! I haven't figured out how to use them. I copy and paste the icon, then same to the text. Is it supposed to go on the app? I have managed to paste it on Facebook, but not where I sent the app there, but on the following post. Can somebody tell me what I am supposed to sent the copy to?
  • MichelleCraigMichelleCraig Lounge Lizzard Posts: 101
    Uhm, @ImGoingApps, let's maintain some civility here. How about a little "How To" lesson instead. Everybody is here to glean something constructive from the others.
    @ImGoingApps Read my badge: Bouncer. That's what I'll do. Behave. This is a private gin joint where civil people socialize. Civil people from all walks of life with all sorts of backgrounds. What they have in common is an interest in App.Cat. I don't tolerate judgement. And I don't tolerate specific or implied disrespect in my Lounge. You've been warned. Apologize to @joemadden1941.
  • CamillaCamilla Bar Keep Posts: 9
    @joemadden1941 I don't know if you personally have access to edit your website but all you have to do is cut and paste the button script provided for that app into the location where you want that button to show on your personal website. That would go into the code part of your website editing program of course. You can also email that button script to your customers to put on their website as well.
    edited October 2012
    A while back I wrote 2 help articles on this.
    Easy way
    More in-depth way

I think the key here is to know that we give you a piece of HTML or JavaScript code that you embed on your page. Just like you embed a YouTube video on your site. Instead of a video you just have a cool download button. That simple.

Let us know where you get stuck, Joe, because you've been talking about this for a few months now and I want to get to the bottom of it.
  • SarahSkinnyGoldSarahSkinnyGold Cigarette Girl Posts: 99
    edited October 2012
    It could be that Joe has no access to the HTML part of his website? I like the pictures in the tutorial about this issue because often the HTML function is kinda hidden in most CMS like Wordpress and such.

• Terry TrainerTerry Trainer Lounge Lizzard Posts: 198
    I have been having the same problem as @joemadden1941, I am using Safari and, in preferences, have found out how to SEE the html code but it wont let me make any changes. Will keep looking, especially with what @todd and @SarahSkinnyGold have shown
    BTW what good does putting @ before a name do?
  • joemadden1941joemadden1941 Lounge Lizzard Posts: 110
    Thanks so much Todd and Claudia for the personal help. I understand better now. I just was so engrossed in making apps I kinda had that on the back burner. I do want to use it as promoting local business is the key reason anybody would need an app. This lounge is a great way to learn and make friends to compare notes. I have never spent any time on chat rooms, but I love this new feature. Oh yes, I love ImGoingApps too, I think she is a Texas girl. We may be neighbors.
    @Terry Trainer: You're talking about the HTML inspector when VISITING a website. Most browsers offer you a neat little trick to look behind the scenes of a site. But that's all they do. They show you the underlying code of a site so you can learn. But you can't edit it, of course.
    Imagine going to Bankofamerica.com and simply starting to change their website through your browser...

So: Now that we know that there's a way to look behind the scenes of a site we should look at how sites are MADE. What tools are used. How are sites constructed and then managed. THAT'S where it'll get interesting and that's where you'll add your buttons...

@joemadden1941 and @Terry, please tell me if you already have websites (not the cool sites that come with app.cat but sites you made or received) and if so how you made them and how you manage them.
    Once I have that info I can walk you through stuff.
    Hi @ToddGoldstein, I dont have a website unless you count a Wordpress Blog that is unused!
    what is the best and cheapest way to overcome this 20th Century hangover?
    edited October 2012
    There are hundreds of places and pieces of software that could do this and we tried them all. For a good looking, easy to manage site without knowing how to code I recommend blogging services.

Tumblr.com. That's where we make our blog. Even though it's an instant-blog-making service you can easily make it look like a snazzy "normal" website. Give yourself a day or so to wrap your head around it. I recommend it.

Some folks swear by Wordpress, which is also free, but I find it daunting, convoluted, complex. It's a perfect example of what happens to something simple and tasty over time if not watched carefully with the eyes of a "new user"...

At this point I feel it's totally possible to start a business without a website. I've seen tons of folks use their upgraded app download site as "their website" from which they pitch their app making services.
  • BenBen Bouncer Posts: 334
    I totally agree Sarah, and that is why we offer the whole "web upgrade" ... why bother with different services, websites, portals, etc. Just get an App.Cat app, and have a website too! :)

And the best bit is that you can just send your customers to the SAME address - and no matter what browser, device (or whatnot) they are on, App.Cat just works.

Trust me, we spend countless hours keeping our website, blog, lounge, Facebook, Twitter and.... ugh!!! Too many, already!

It's impossible to keep everything "in sync". That's what we tried to bring to App.Cat. A one-stop platform to publish to every device!

I'm glad you are having success with us.... and wish you the best of luck.
    What's an app.cat app?
    It's an app for any smartphone and becomes a website if viewed on a big screen so everybody can see it.
  • EricEdgeEricEdge Lounge Lizzard Supreme Posts: 274
    @ToddGoldstein, I thought App.Cat Apps are an....

Innovative Business client loyalty marketing tool, infused with Social Media, Powered by Word-of-Mouth and works on ALL digital devices.

Did I get it wrong? Lol.
    Hey team,

Add your comments and learn from others - How to introduce your App's to potential clients at....

http://lounge.app.cat/discussion/77/how-do-you-introduce-your-apps-to-potential-customers

Hope you enjoy and become more INSIGHTFUL. ;-)
    Let's get this thread back to the "download my app"-buttons.
    I see far too few on people's websites and start to wonder if customers think that apps are some sort of parallel universe instead of proactively advertising them...
    Is it just me or is everyone avoiding the topic of integrating "download my app"-buttons on their website? Do I need to offer a reward? What is it about those cool buttons that scares people?
    Hi @SarahSkinnyGold, I've always used the buttons on my site and all my clients websites. It is and should be a major part of the implementation of what an App.Cat Maker offers their clients.
  • perfectpperfectp Lounge Lizzard Posts: 87
    Total agree with@ericedge always use them and encourage customers to do so also, at he en of the day you want your app to be out there so it all helps!
    so first a website !
  • ahhadonahhadon Lounge Lizzard Posts: 2
    What I think makes this application so great. Simple!! You get (1)a simple website with all the info. you need to contact the company (2) a mobile web presence (3)and an app where there is no need to type in a web address that can be used as a business card.
    Yes you need to promote it with some special incentives now and then. Use rss feed or you can have a specials tab that redirects to a site that you up date on the fly or as needed. Offer a special discount if they show your app on their phone etc.
    @perfectp, are YOU using download buttons or the awesome Smart App Detector on your site?
  • AlainAlain Lounge Lizzard Posts: 111
    Hi @ToddGoldstein, do you have a French version of the buttons?
    Pas encore...But soon...
  • AlainAlain Lounge Lizzard Posts: 111
  • perfectpperfectp Lounge Lizzard Posts: 87
    @ToddGoldstein hi sorry completely missed your question on this I DO use the download button and encouge our clients to do so also, some use the spilter code.

We also have the QR code on our car that we have just had sign written up, it looks Awesme :)
    @perfectp Show us a picture of your car, please. It sounds awesome!