Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

5 Years App.Cat - 1 Year Lounge
We started the Lounge because Facebook serves crap Martinis and is too noisy to communicate, learn, and share in a civil manner.
A hefty 1200 contributors and readers make this a great place for App.Cat aficionados. Help us by actively participating in discussions. Grab a drink and grow with us!
New here? This is Support on Steroids! Click to read how the Lounge works...
Welcome to the Lounge
Thousands of posts are at your disposal to find quick answers to questions others have asked before.
Use the search box to find the answer to anything.

Also our Knowledge Base lists hundreds of expertly written articles. Enjoy!
For security reasons -and to provide transparency to non customers- this forum does not use your App.Cat login. Log in here using your previous Lounge password or a social network id to see all topics.
Click to read how the Lounge works...

Peek a Poke - Should you make the app in front of a client?

App "Kitty" CatApp "Kitty" Cat Bouncer Posts: 1
edited September 2012 in Sell
Chat about when it's appropriate to "reveal your secret" about how quick and easy it is to make and edit iPhone and Android apps directly on location.

Comments

• SarahSkinnyGoldSarahSkinnyGold Cigarette Girl Posts: 99
    I usually pre-make an app, then present it to the prospective client. They're very impressed and almost always want it.
    I don't do edits in front of the customer but rather surprise him with an email an hour or so after the meeting. Seems to work better.
  • MichelleCraigMichelleCraig Lounge Lizzard Posts: 101
    Really good point, Sarah. I wonder how many App Catters make the app in front of the customer, or pre-make it.
    I like the idea of pre-making the app, because, to the business owner, it would show that some actual research had been conducted beforehand, which I would think makes the potential customer feel special.
  • ImGoingAppsImGoingApps Lounge Lizzard Posts: 100
    That's good for small business however if go after sales teams such as realtors you should a least take your time with the client.
  • Terry TrainerTerry Trainer Lounge Lizzard Posts: 198
    prefer the idea of pre-making even if it is a general fit then customise when I have found out just what someone wants.
    at the moment trying to find time to set up several general systems,.. will keep in touch
  • snowysnowy Lounge Lizzard Posts: 4
    phone business and arrange appoinments...
  • joemadden1941joemadden1941 Lounge Lizzard Posts: 110
    I prefer pre-making the app to impress the client showing them their app pertaining to their location, photos, and menu. I like to get information from their website, if they have one, or facebook page. If you can't get them to pay for your efforts, you can probably get a free lunch if a restaurant. Just beware of snapping photos if they are not aware of your intentions. I usually tell them in advance that I offer a means to promote their business, and would like to show them for free.
    edited October 2012
    Joe if you give your app for a free lunch how can you call it an app making business? Some of us see this as trying to add extra income, which means we have an investment, if your approach to pre make the app do you move it from app cat? if not this is just a hobby for you. I don't like the pre make approach unless they know your coming and have asked to use their content, other wise it could backfire on you. Just curious how much do you ask for one of your apps ?
  • ToddGoldsteinToddGoldstein Bouncer, Bar Keep Posts: 695
    Everyone has different approaches. There's no right or wrong.
    We see successful app sellers WITH and WITHOUT pre-made apps.
    Nothing wrong with getting free lunch either. When starting to "penetrate a market from within" you sometimes have to give away a freebie to the first Tattoo Parlor in town so that his competitors notice and BUY apps from you...
  • SarahSkinnyGoldSarahSkinnyGold Cigarette Girl Posts: 99
    I do sometimes make apps right then and there. It's usually bars. I don't make them in front of the staff but I make them over a drink, then "beam" them to the bartender. I've gotten free drinks and LOTS of follow-up biz that way. Bartenders in classy, quiet joints are brilliant agents because they reach a specific demography from a wide range of industries. I don't usually make the app about the bar. I make it a personal app about the bartender.
  • joemadden1941joemadden1941 Lounge Lizzard Posts: 110
    Hi ImGoingApps, I never give them the app. I just show them how their business would look on an app on my phone. If they like it, it's 99 bucks, plus enhencment extras. If they are not impressed, it stays on my phone for another presentation to perhaps another attempt with a different person in management or gets deleted.
    @joe your selling yourself and your product way to low given this advanced technology .
    @todd I understand that. my freebie is ill throw in the Android version, in today's market people aren't even programmed to think free is good ! I want someone to invest in the app pay for it and me to help them move it the right way. example: I have went through all my apps and added the new features for free . Now my clients feel I'm paying attention to their brand.
  • Demond FlowersDemond Flowers Lounge Lizzard Posts: 4
    I still have not seen how much is a fair amount to charge for developing and maintaining the application. I seen 99.00 plus additions and maintenance. I came up with 150.00 plus 10/mth maintenance. Updates can be made from 8 to 5 and are put on the same day. anything after the next morning...However, i have not yet sold an app or talk to too many people just yet. Example 2 is the one i did for the club promoter, i sold it to him for 100 bucks but i charge people at the door the first night $1 but they get a raffle ticket and a chance at a free drink at the end of the night. Those under 21 get admission the next week for free...
    @Demond Hi I too am working out pricing, but I am not in a student environment.
    This product in brilliant. so good that people are making a living out of it!
    SO if it is that good then it is worth a lot more than $100 per app. So I am thinking about $400, (thats for a rebranded version)
    As for support, I am thinking along the lines of $25 an update on demand, or $240 a year (one update a month), with a charge of $50 if i need to do a visit.
    What does everyone else think?
    P.S. my wife reckons I should think higher on the support
  • mcurhecmcurhec Lounge Lizzard Posts: 10
    Hi

Im also working out pricing for this apps, and Im not even close to some of the numbers your are talking about.My good friend is an android programer and his company would charge from 4000-6000€ per app + updates fee , he said if I give this product a small price everybody can afford I would not just make my self a lot of work for small money but also bring down value of the product and also push back client that have some serius money and would like to have something that not averybody can aford and are willing to pay for it.
    I would like to know at what price range are you working at and what do you charge for updates per month and for how many updates?

Im am thinking of giving android tablet pc for free if they pay afront for 1 year for making and updating an app for "monitoring an app and keep up with updates" , I have already got in tuch with a tablets suplier and make a good deal with him , so it wouldnt cost me so much and I would supplie costumer with already uploaded app .
    What do you thing about that? Please help me with any suggestions and what are you doing to sell more apps to your clients.

Thank you
    Yep I would like more ideas in this area. I am slowly thinking higher....
  • ToddGoldsteinToddGoldstein Bouncer, Bar Keep Posts: 695
    @mcurhec and @TerryTrainer
    Pricing is being discussed here:
    http://lounge.app.cat/discussion/16/app-selling-how-to-approach-pitch-and-sell-an-app
    http://lounge.app.cat/discussion/55/our-and-appcat-successes
    Pricing keeps creeping up in many topics and I wonder if we should make a separate, distinctive discussion or lounge room for that. Let me know.
    Yep @ToddGoldstein, I think the subject is big enough for it's own specific area