Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

5 Years App.Cat - 1 Year Lounge
We started the Lounge because Facebook serves crap Martinis and is too noisy to communicate, learn, and share in a civil manner.
A hefty 1200 contributors and readers make this a great place for App.Cat aficionados. Help us by actively participating in discussions. Grab a drink and grow with us!
New here? This is Support on Steroids! Click to read how the Lounge works...
Welcome to the Lounge
Thousands of posts are at your disposal to find quick answers to questions others have asked before.
Use the search box to find the answer to anything.

Also our Knowledge Base lists hundreds of expertly written articles. Enjoy!
For security reasons -and to provide transparency to non customers- this forum does not use your App.Cat login. Log in here using your previous Lounge password or a social network id to see all topics.
Click to read how the Lounge works...

Just Released: In-app signup for Newsletters and Push Messages

ToddGoldsteinToddGoldstein Bouncer, Bar Keep Posts: 695
Starting today your app-visitors can subscribe to your news right from within the app itself.

There's a new button on top of your news-page (you can name it anything you want).
Tapping it will allow even more people to receive your Push-News and Email Newsletters.

This will help you grow your list organically and virally
It's fantastic if your app had been shared by QR code or Facebook and said customer is thus not yet registered with his email or cellphone number.

This new feature is currently injected into every existing app. You have to do nothing. It'll just be there in a few hours.

Comments

• SarahSkinnyGoldSarahSkinnyGold Cigarette Girl Posts: 99
    Gob-smacked. It's BRILLIANT. Thanks!
  • transapptransapp Lounge Lizzard Posts: 26
    Hi everyone,
    I am a bit lost here. Doesn't everyone who has the app get the push messages anyway?
    For instance if I text the link to people and they install the app would they then need to subscribe for push messages in the news area but if they downloaded the app or it was shared to them from within the app they would automatically be subscribed.

Thanks.
    Ian
  • MrAppMrApp Lounge Lizzard Supreme Posts: 309
    Hi @Transapp

Not everyone, if someone downloads your app via the QR code they are not in the system to send the push message (text message). The guys have spotted this and provided a button so people can subscribe, this is a great tool and will get us more subscribers.
  • prizeoxprizeox Lounge Lizzard Posts: 7
    thanks for putting that in just what i was looking for.

regards

Vaughan
  • EricEdgeEricEdge Lounge Lizzard Supreme Posts: 274
    Hi @SarahSkinnyGold, @transapp, @MrApp & @prizeox,

It's worth prompting people to participate and include their details about once every few weeks. Instead of leaving it and hoping they will voluntarily add their own details themselves.

So, to get the most out of the "Subscribe to News" button, consider from time-to-time to add a news post encouraging people who received an App via a QR Barcode Scan to click the news button and add their phone number or email to the notifications list, so they will be included for special notifications.

What do you think?
    I agree @EricEdge

We have has a message box inside our members area that we can post comments for our clients to see, we have been using this to keep our clients busy with ideas.
  • Mark HarrissMark Harriss Lounge Lizzard Posts: 42
    @ToddGoldstein @BenCrockyKepinski

Hi guys. Any chance of increasing the number of characters allowed in the email field for subscribing to push?

I've just tried to add an email and it wouldn't all fit in - admittedly it is a fairly long address but it's possible that my customers also have a long email address.

Thanks

Mark
  • DezCarDezCar Lounge Lizzard Posts: 10
    I tried this new feature. The client has been updating his FB page over the Christmas season. his news feed is an rss of his timeline yet I don't receive any updates via this new feature. Is it restricted to geographical location? I am based in Ireland. Or am I totally missing something here?
    Sorry and to clarify I signed up to news via my phone number and installed the app via SMS
    edited December 2012
    Hi @DezCar Im not sure thats how it works, if I am right people will subscribe using their mobile number or email address and that will add them to your app list, then when you send a Push Notification they will be included in the message.
    edited December 2012
    @MrApp Ok, so they don't automatically receive a push message that the news feed has 'some new news' ?
    @DezCar No not that I am aware

@MrApp hmmm. I would have thought you would receive the push through the usual means like other apps, such as a badge on my iPhone lock screen etc. I would imagine if others using his app have subscribed would expect the same thing. And I will opens self to correction again, I may be completely missing a beat here.
    edited December 2012
    @DezCar yes and no, when people download the app via the QR code or URL direct they are not listed in the contact list because they have not entered contact details. the 'Subscribe to Push News' button has filled that gap by letting people register if they haven't already, the good thing is from reading other post on here if someone has already registered but they do it again they wont be duplicated as the system will recognise their details.
    @MrApp I get ya. Is it a paid service I need to sign up for in the software to enable this? I have every possible plugin but have not tried the push feature in appcat software. Also thank you for taking the time to reply.
    @DezCar I believe it is $5 per push notification but this depends on your package, its better to send the push notifications once the app has been downloaded a good number of times because you only pay $5 per push no matter how many people have your app.
    @MrApp ok so I need to enable the push feature for the 'subscribe to our news' to work then? This clients app has nearly 2000 downloads so I would imagine it is something he would want. Thanks again.
    @DezCar you don't need to enable it my friend
    @MrApp I understand. So basically this feature is a way of gathering contacts etc. so that when you use the push feature in the software you are increasing your reach to those who did not receive the app via SMS for example and who may not have contact info in the appcat mothership? I thought, as I said I may be missing something, that if you subscribed to the news feature that each time the news feed was updated those who subscribed would automatically receive a push message telling them so.
    @DezCar it is already built into the app software, if you open the software and look at the bottom of the 'Beautify your app' you will see the Push button. You have to pay $5 each time you send a push per app just so you're aware
    @DezCar Not trying to tell you how to run your app business but it would be a good idea to put together a bundle package of Push Notifications and offer them as an extra to your app owners.
  • richardzeiger2richardzeiger2 Lounge Lizzard Posts: 6
    When I downloaded an app to my iphone, it is confusing to me why the "subscribe to push news" is there when firstly the app has "news feed" already there....secondly when i download the app, am i not automatically "subscribed" ....if i need to subscribe in order to recieve SMS /PUSH/ or "news" it seems not clear as to what i will be getting if i subscribe....am i missing something?
    edited January 2016
    Hi @richardzeiger2 read my conversation above with @DezCar that should answer your question.
  • richardzeiger2richardzeiger2 Lounge Lizzard Posts: 6
    i was reading this again and maybe i am still missing the gist, if i send the app to a mobile #(or email) , then, that # is automatically in the database prepared to receive PUSH, however if they QR in then they must manually subscribe....(what did you mean by access by URL?) also PUSH costs us $5 per message sent(to that clients database)? this was recently changed?
    Hi @richardzeiger2 happy new year :-)

That is correct yes, your app users will only go on the database if they get the app via text or email. If they download the app by scanning the QR code or by clicking the app URL then they won't. When you build your apps each get a vanity website, some people advertise the website (URL) on Facebook, Twitter and their website so when someone clicks that using their mobile it will give them an option to download the app without entering their details, so unfortunately they won't be in the database so this is why the subscribe button is there.

In regards to Push again the answer is yes, push was on a special offer last month which has now ended.

• BenBen Bouncer Posts: 334
    People MUST give you permission for you to annoy them with a push. It is NOT automatic and would get us all into a LOT of trouble. So: unless someone enters their phone number or email into a box somewhere, they won't be in your list.
    That is probably the easiest way to think of this.
  • perfectpperfectp Lounge Lizzard Posts: 87
    @Ben A great explanation! As easy as that.
  • bowgenbowgen Lounge Lizzard Posts: 15
    Man, am I confused. I really would have thought the PUSH notifications would have somehow been included when you agreed to download the app. I think the QR code is a fantastic way for cafe's, coffee houses etc, to obtain new business whilst using 'push'. Now I am not so sure I want to market to those types of businesses. By the way, by downloading the app, it seems like that have already given permission.

Just my 2 cents worth. I am looking at this as a brand new member to app.cat
    Hi @Bowgen

I know what you mean and some way they do give permission when they download the app using their mobile number or email address but the way the Push Notifications are sent now it isn't possible to send Push messages to app users who downloaded the app using the QR code.

As a business I wouldn't say to stay away from any business, each is different and in this case I would use the QR code and also inform the user to remember to sign up to notifications to receive the latest discounts. This shows the customer that the business respects their decision to download the app and they wont get spammed just for downloading it.

• bowgenbowgen Lounge Lizzard Posts: 15
    Well @MrApp I think you have given me something to think about. Appreciate it! Have a great day/night.