Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

5 Years App.Cat - 1 Year Lounge
We started the Lounge because Facebook serves crap Martinis and is too noisy to communicate, learn, and share in a civil manner.
A hefty 1200 contributors and readers make this a great place for App.Cat aficionados. Help us by actively participating in discussions. Grab a drink and grow with us!
New here? This is Support on Steroids! Click to read how the Lounge works...
Welcome to the Lounge
Thousands of posts are at your disposal to find quick answers to questions others have asked before.
Use the search box to find the answer to anything.

Also our Knowledge Base lists hundreds of expertly written articles. Enjoy!
For security reasons -and to provide transparency to non customers- this forum does not use your App.Cat login. Log in here using your previous Lounge password or a social network id to see all topics.
Click to read how the Lounge works...

Freestyle-move your Navigation Buttons

ToddGoldsteinToddGoldstein Bouncer, Bar Keep Posts: 695
edited November 2012 in Updates
We just went live with this cool new feature after months of testing. Some of you might have seen it pop up here and there in your software. It's now stable and brilliant...
Watch this video. 54 seconds.

How to move navigation buttons from App Cat on Vimeo.

Comments

• RGBRGB Lounge Lizzard Posts: 35
    You people are incredible! Great new feature and Thank you once again!
  • Terry TrainerTerry Trainer Lounge Lizzard Posts: 198
    Simply great.
    Another big A
  • hAPPyhAPPy Lounge Lizzard Posts: 28
    Brilliant "move", App.cat team! Dig the new feature!

Curious if anyone on a Mac (Macbook Air 13", OS X v10.8.2) can drag a menu item, but can't effectively drop it into the desired spot, as the other menu items don't move over? Might be just me? :) Thanks in advance!
  • BenBen Bouncer Posts: 334
    Hi there - I'm on the exact same computer and everything is fine, it can sometimes be a bit weird (especially if using a trackpad) to move the menu items. Just keep trying, and if you still get stuck ... just open a support ticket with our people! :)
  • EricEdgeEricEdge Lounge Lizzard Supreme Posts: 274
    Hi team, well done. Love changing the order of the menu. Thanks heaps!

...can sometimes be a bit weird (especially if using a trackpad) to move the menu items...... if you still get stuck ... just open a support ticket with our people! :)

Thanks Ben! Tried several more times, no go. Will check in on Support to see if they have some magic to offer :-)
  • timtim Lounge Lizzard Posts: 6
    I'm seeing a new item on my news feed!
    Ask for phone or email? Could you tell me what this about?
    Thanks
    Hi @tim, this allows people who have installed your app to "subscribe" to your push list.
  • perfectpperfectp Lounge Lizzard Posts: 87
    edited November 2012
    @BenCrockyKepinski, Sorry to be a pain but if they have your app on there phone would they not receive the push message anyway?
    Thank you!
    Not necessarily, read this page and pay particular attention to the box at the bottom as it explains all: http://help.app.cat/solution/articles/13418-push-broadcast-your-news-to-every-device-by-sms-email-facebook
    @BenCrockyKepinski So if someone downloads the app from a QR Code they will not be on the list is that right?
    If they have been sent it by SMS they are on the list?
    Thanks
    Correct - or via email.
    edited November 2012
    Hi @BenCrockyKepinski, I was thinking about this opt in button, especially after explaining it to a confused client.

Is there a way of adding a little caption/description/help note under the input sections that appears after they have pressed the button?

My client didn't know if he should put his friends SMS & Email so they would be included in the 'Extra news" or whether it was for him and with that confusion he asked for it to be removed. Then he when on to say, he would like to be notified about app changes before they happen so he has a right to refuse.

After we chatted, he was alright and understood.

The note below the SMS & Email input area could be something like...

"Never miss an important message. Add your details above." or
    "Add your details about to receive important notices." or
    "Be included on our V.I.P. list for exclusive notices."
    and my favourite "Be included for exclusive notices".

What are your thoughts? And how insightful is this post? lol
    FYI @perfectp, @tim
    @BenCrockyKepinski, if a person has installed an app via sms or email and then re adds it through the news feed button, will he receive double the push notifications? Or does the system prevents duplicate phone numbers for sms's and duplicate emails?
  • PeeshouPeeshou Lounge Lizzard Posts: 7
  • ToddGoldsteinToddGoldstein Bouncer, Bar Keep Posts: 695
    @EricEdge. We intelligently prevent duplicates.
    If someone received the app via SMS (or email) he's on your list.
    If he then subscribes to your news (via the new subscribe button) he will NOT get double messages.

We've changed the button to say "Subscribe to Push News" (when you make the app).
    You can then change that text (new!) inside your custom menu settings.

This should clear up any confusion about the ingenious new subscription function.
    edited November 2012
    @ToddGoldstein & @BenCrockyKepinski
    I've checked out the new subscribe button. Well done.
    One thing - Could you make the generic text just... "Subscribe to News"? Instead of "Subscribe to Push News".
    It will save me having to manually change each clients App.
    Thank you!

...can sometimes be a bit weird (especially if using a trackpad) to move the menu items.....

Hey Ben, also tried it on my other MBA 11" v10.6.8, using the trackpad, with no luck :(

In addition, I re-tried my MBA 13" v10.8.2 with a magic mouse, and still no luck.

One more thing, clicking the custom app icons don't seem to open up other icons, except for the Navigation Start icon option.

Sent a support ticket in and didn't get a relevant answer from Corby, unfortunately.

Curious if the App.cat team has received other feedback from Mac users about similar experiences? Anything you could advise me, or offer any tips to making this work? Thx Ben!
    @ToddGoldstein With out doubt you have done it again.
    In less than 24 hours a fantastic feature that was a little misunderstood, has been changed so that everyone understands. 5 Star service *****

I can not upload images, if some tells me how to I will post a image of how I think the main men look when listening to us app.catters.
  • sharp1959sharp1959 Lounge Lizzard Posts: 17
    edited November 2012
    Hi Team,

Great ideas, one more little request tho, on the "Share" menu then into the "ShareApp -email" in the box "dimmed text box" you@domain.com - can we have the ability to
    change that? or can we have "your-friend@domain.com" or something - I'm still getting
    customers trying to put "their own" emails in this box...and so it's not going anywhere..
    but to their own email box...not their "share" with somebody email....

When people see "you@domain.com" they think they have to put in their own email...
    works great for the "Subscribe to Push News", but not so well when they try to actually
    "share" the app with friends...

It would also be nice to edit the little message that drops down too...on all apps, inside
    app cat studio...even tho the customer could change it...or have the text that you put
    in inside the app cat studio software, (that the user can't change) then have a area in the same message that they could add their little message (above the owners message)...

Best Regards,
    Larry
    edited November 2012
    @sharp1959, Love the "your-friend@domain.com" for the SHARE button suggestion. I am sure when @ToddGoldstein & @BenCrockyKepinski read your comments they will agree. Well done, Larry.
    I would re-publish your app for a little surprise ;)
  • sharp1959sharp1959 Lounge Lizzard Posts: 17
    @BenCrockyKepinski,

Nicccce...Ben, Thanks again for your awesome and professional help...Thanks!

....applauding in the background ;) Great job Ben!

Thanks @EricEdge, anything to help the end user...

Best Regards,
    Larry
  • ToddGoldsteinToddGoldstein Bouncer, Bar Keep Posts: 695
    edited November 2012

...Just keep trying, and if you still get stuck ... just open a support ticket with our people! :)

Hey Ben, wanted to update ya, got it figured out... I had to purchase the custom menu option (which I thought I did but didn't) in order to modify/customize/freestyle-move those menu items!
    Glad to hear it, hAPPy!
  • mcurhecmcurhec Lounge Lizzard Posts: 10
    Hi I have also a request if its possible , some of my costumers dont like that when they press the back button on their phone ( as they are used to do on phone websites and every thisg else) they exit the app. Is it possible to make this in someway that app asked you if you want to exit or something so they will not exit automatic when they press back button? Even I have problems with that. Thank you
  • appdudeappdude Lounge Lizzard Posts: 13
    Not wanting to get off topic but I agree with @mcurhec regarding the exit issue with the back button.

Team AppCat have produced another winner with the flexibility to move the order of the menu buttons. .. my example.

A client in the early design phase requested a change in the order of the menu. My initial reply was "there is a strategy to the way the menu is designed" (meaning that is the way it is) "but I will look into it for you". I put the thought into the ether and guess what ... movable menus magically appears .... (now ... I just wish my lotto numbers would come up next.) I presented them with the original menu format to start. They were happy. Then I went back one week later and said .... I have changed the order as you wanted. Happy. Happy. Happy client.

Thanks AppCat.
    Back button...on what phone? Android?