Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

5 Years App.Cat - 1 Year Lounge
We started the Lounge because Facebook serves crap Martinis and is too noisy to communicate, learn, and share in a civil manner.
A hefty 1200 contributors and readers make this a great place for App.Cat aficionados. Help us by actively participating in discussions. Grab a drink and grow with us!
New here? This is Support on Steroids! Click to read how the Lounge works...
Welcome to the Lounge
Thousands of posts are at your disposal to find quick answers to questions others have asked before.
Use the search box to find the answer to anything.

Also our Knowledge Base lists hundreds of expertly written articles. Enjoy!
For security reasons -and to provide transparency to non customers- this forum does not use your App.Cat login. Log in here using your previous Lounge password or a social network id to see all topics.
Click to read how the Lounge works...

App Selling - How to approach, pitch, and sell an app

ImGoingAppsImGoingApps Lounge Lizzard Posts: 100
edited September 2012 in Sell
Discussion Moved from our Design Section:
I'm going to tell you guys what app cat is trying to do for us! The thought of quick money and easy sales are NOT going to happen! Get into the client and into app cat software, app cat has given you software to make a Ferrari and no pun intended some apps I've seen are a Dodge Neon , if you give them away please don't do it in my town! App Cat wants you to be successful and have fun doing it, not just have fun, if done correctly I can see you charging the price points app cat has thrown out there for us, I think anyone who makes an app should at least make themselves and AppCat money by selling as many features as possible. Just because all this is available in the software doesn't mean it should be given away ! I've enclosed one of my apps for a high end client he was going with someone else until I explained the advantage of using me over a big marketing firm. And I get a maintenance fee monthly which they pushed on me because they were impressed that I captured what they wanted ! Here it is http://www.appgargle.com/platinum
Thanks

Comments

• joemadden1941joemadden1941 Lounge Lizzard Posts: 110
    I think ImGoingApps is right. I like to make a prospect a basic app, 3 photos, basic information about their business, an animated theme, and use it for my selling point. I explain the enhencments I can offer for additional charge. If they are not intrested, I delete the app. If they show some interest I let them promote it for a while and check back offering to make it much better, and possibly a monthly update fee.
  • MichelleCraigMichelleCraig Lounge Lizzard Posts: 101
    Do you think it is better to go into a prospective client with an app already made for them, doing any editing it in front of them, or collect all of the info and do it on the computer later?
  • ToddGoldsteinToddGoldstein Bouncer, Bar Keep Posts: 695
    Welcome aboard, Joe. We've covered your early app making days in our help section a while back. I see that by now you have an impressive portfolio of app clients in Texas.

When you "leave them the app for a while because they showed interest" are you following up on them in any way? Phone calls, visits? Do you use secondary convincers such as making sure their customers actually download the app (so it gets "sticky" and possibly harder for the client to decline your offer)?
  • ImGoingAppsImGoingApps Lounge Lizzard Posts: 100
    The only way I'd do it while the client was in front of me is at a trade show, its already hard for them to believe it can be done so easily by an individual, the more you show the more question they have.
    I get the prospect's email and follow-up. If they don't respond I go by the location and discuss if we can go forward. I always text the app to them while I am there so I know they have it. I will print-out the website and take it by when I make the personal follow-up. This way they can see how a poster in their business would look and help them to promote their app to customers coming in. I would love to see our developers add the appcat.com/theirwebsite text in bold print at the top of their webpage and make it sizeable to print, to put on doors, windows, and a smaller version to put around their check-out register. We have to help them get the word out about their app, and the information on it, to the people who are in their local trade area. If the app is downloaded in Spain, or Russia it will do no good for a business in Wills Point, Texas. If you can get one enthused with their app to use as a reference, things can possibly snowball for you.
  • SarahSkinnyGoldSarahSkinnyGold Cigarette Girl Posts: 99
    What I'd love to see in app.cat is a printable poster or flyer. That way we'd have instant handouts or decals to slap onto a door, window, or cash register. I know I am off-topic because this should go into the "wish list". But I think this would be a great tool to help existing AND potential clients (that you leave with an evaluation sample of their app).
    @sarah "skinny" Gold if you just make a stock one and change out QR and Photos i use pages works great
  • Vicki Wilson ConleyVicki Wilson Conley Lounge Lizzard Posts: 12
    that's awesome Eric. I have built several free apps for peeps, I also give one away at networking events as a door prize. I do not have a follow up program in place and so far, none of the freebies have taken the time to promote. I've got a good base of customers built.

I'm going to set a goal to touch base with all of them this month and let them know about all the new features. I also love that you connect with them monthly, great ideas. thank you!
    edited October 2012
    @edge I like your approach I try to operate the same but I usually move my apps away from app.cat with the white label anonymizer if I feel that a client doesn't understand the value I can give him with my expertise.
    You're certainly more structured than me @EricEdge. Though I provide similar services I've never thought of calling it a "Social Media & Marketing Training Course". Brilliant.
    Excellent, excellent points, Eric!!! =D>
  • Terry TrainerTerry Trainer Lounge Lizzard Posts: 198
    quick question .. what do you find the best device to demo on?
    an iPhone or android or a bigger screen like an Pad, or your portable computer?
    The answer to that question is fast becoming Android. With the IOS6 download every Iphone user I know is totally discusted.
  • EricEdgeEricEdge Lounge Lizzard Supreme Posts: 274
    Great question @TerryTrainer. I use 2 devices - Samsung Galaxy 3 (Because of the bigger screen and the Apps look great and work the way App do on iPhones) and I use an iPad to display the alternative website look and feel. It also proves to a client our Apps work on ALL devices.
  • BenBen Bouncer Posts: 334
    The whole maps thing is blown way out of proportion.... in fact, there is some data to suggest that the Apple maps is better than Google maps (see: http://news.consumerreports.org/cars/2012/09/smart-phone-navigation-showdown-apple-ios6-vs-google-android.html and http://vore.cc/post/32503374905/old-maps-vs-new-maps).

Also: keep in mind that App.Cat was designed from the ground up to be an iPhone app maker, it's nice to see Android kind of catch up to the performance of the iPhone. But the S3 I have here is slower than my year old 4S.... take from that what you like.

And, before I sign off - iPhone's are perceived as being the "sexier" device, so demoing on the device the software was made for and is (usually) deemed nicer by most laypeople is a good bet.

Though, a big screen is also nice to demo on.... :)
    Here is a little tip....

Make sure you have your App Vanity (Domain Name) Address on the ABOUT page of your Facebook page.

When you do, make sure you use the FULL address like: http://style.cat/YourName to ensure it becomes a clickable link. Meaning make sure the http:// is included.

Another reason why all this is important is because these days many people do Facebook on their mobile device and they can only see the about page and photos. So by having an active link to your App makes it possible for them to click and install your App.

You will be surprised on how many people will click and install your App. \:D/
    Thanks @EricEdge, i would never have found that .. so tucked away ! Now to try to tidy up my Facebook
    @EricEdge. Love the Facebook tip.
    Putting your app's pretty download link into all things Facebook there's now also a secondary benefit: Since the introduction of the free mobile website that looks and acts like the app it's now possible for folks to click through and instantly get a great experience even while still inside the Facebook app.
  • BenBen Bouncer Posts: 334
    We're very proud of our vanity URL. The amount of technology that "happens" behind the scenes is astronomical. But..... we do it so that no matter what device/hardware your customer visits us on, they will get the BEST experience possible!
  • scfreelyscfreely Lounge Lizzard Posts: 36
    Hi Eric,

We are new and appreciate if you could share a bit on how to promoting a new app.
    I am curious if anyone has tried selling multiple apps to a company, ie: selling a company on the App Cat program, or an app, for each agent/employee/rep...
    Not yet @CorbyPeachDP but had crossed my mind, Hmmm MrApp (I think) said he had sold 27 apps to a firm..
  • ToddGoldsteinToddGoldstein Bouncer, Bar Keep Posts: 695
  • scfreelyscfreely Lounge Lizzard Posts: 36
    Thanks Eric for your great info.:)