Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

5 Years App.Cat - 1 Year Lounge
We started the Lounge because Facebook serves crap Martinis and is too noisy to communicate, learn, and share in a civil manner.
A hefty 1200 contributors and readers make this a great place for App.Cat aficionados. Help us by actively participating in discussions. Grab a drink and grow with us!
New here? This is Support on Steroids! Click to read how the Lounge works...
Welcome to the Lounge
Thousands of posts are at your disposal to find quick answers to questions others have asked before.
Use the search box to find the answer to anything.

Also our Knowledge Base lists hundreds of expertly written articles. Enjoy!
For security reasons -and to provide transparency to non customers- this forum does not use your App.Cat login. Log in here using your previous Lounge password or a social network id to see all topics.
Click to read how the Lounge works...

Successful Rent Parties need Gin, a Piano, and a lot of flyers

ToddGoldsteinToddGoldstein Bouncer, Bar Keep Posts: 695
edited September 2012 in Promote
How do you announce your app? Where do you stick QR codes? How do you post on Social Networks.

Comments

• ImGoingAppsImGoingApps Lounge Lizzard Posts: 100
    If you start by doing apps for groups or functions you support use the same methods in place now, how do you give out your phone number ? I move a app almost 5 k in a couple of months with word of mouth, and social media .
  • MichelleCraigMichelleCraig Lounge Lizzard Posts: 101
    That is a good point that Todd made about "sells the app and runs". Remember, how you had to learn your way around App Cat? Your client is in a similar boat. You've just made him/her a really cool app, but you also have to teach them how to get the most out of it.
    Some apps will never have big numbers if a customer is just starting out or has no visibility, your going to have to help grow there business instead of the app adding to their current marketing program . Meaning if you push the app for a burger joint and the burgers are crap the app will have no impact. I see if you push a cause it really works also. clubs, churches , places with big numbers already.
    I think you should only choose business that an app might help. Relators, sales teams people who have a reason to promote themselves. 1 person can move an app so many times.
    QR codes are also a great way to promote that app!
    Please understand also most people can barely send an txt message on their fancy smartphones, if you make one for a restaurant maybe include in the price training.
  • Terry TrainerTerry Trainer Lounge Lizzard Posts: 198
    If i make an App under the $199 system then the customer can't update it, so either I maintain it or it will die. I see these Apps as primarily for people who need to send out communications regularly to the App holders. like weekly special offers................. or have i got it wrong?
    First why would you make one for 199 and if you do how can you offer to maintain it, one thing I find helpful is to integrate some existing tools they already maintain such as social media, the first app I made I'm coming up on a year, I have updated as AppCat has and I did it for free, because I knew as I grew so would the app numbers and I was right !
    Now the apps have the feel of native apps you should sell a push package or add it into the price of the app, think about it if you change content on an app in the store it takes weeks !
  • ToddGoldsteinToddGoldstein Bouncer, Bar Keep Posts: 695
    @terry Lots of successful app sellers who use App.Cat make "service contracts" with their clients. This not only guarantees residual income for the app makers but it provides a wonderful sense of peace of mind to the client who doesn't want to deal with this kind of stuff.
    So: You make an app for a Pizzeria. Sell it to Giovanni, the Pizzeria owner. Whenever a new pie goes onto the menu, Giovanni sends you an email with its picture and description and you add it to his app. It then instantly updates on every smartphone that has that app. You either charge Giovanni per update or per set of updates or per year. Up to you.
    If Giovanni feels that his new pizza should be announced to everyone you can send out a push message (which also cross-posts to his social networks) to all his clients. You can charge him for that or do it as part of a package...

I am not sure if you are yet using our software because your said "$199 system" which sounds a bit off.
    Just to clarify: App.Cat is software that allows you to make AND manage unlimited apps for a one-time price. Pay software. Make apps. Done. No monthly subscriptions and all that jazz you see elsewhere.
  • EricEdgeEricEdge Lounge Lizzard Supreme Posts: 274
    edited October 2012
    It's important to mention how an App grows in the marketplace - that it requires marketing, like any product or service. If a client won't promote their own App - maybe they should NOT have an App in the first place. Unless, they request you to market it for them like what @Todd "Cigar" Goldstein said with "Service Contracts".

JUST DON'T SELL YOURSELF SHORT!
  • SarahSkinnyGoldSarahSkinnyGold Cigarette Girl Posts: 99
    I believe that most clients "somehow know that they need an app" but have no clue what to do with it. It's our job to help them with the "what to do with it" by pointing out that it's a natural extension to their CI portfolio. I see myself doing a lot of very basic media management for clients and I am often surprised how they were able to stay afloat considering the web sites and non-existent social media presence they sport.
    It's an opportunity for me to sell more services AND bring them up to speed and they're always very thankful.
    I rather give an app away for exposure then to sell it under 500.00 Ive noticed that customers who run from price with everything they're getting cut that meeting short and move on.
    Hmmm It looks like I didn't express myself well.
    I certainly wouldn't sell an App for $199, the $199 is what it cost me to get the entrepreneur system ..
    I was trying to get confirmation that customers can't update things themselves, which suits me very well, as i also am planning to sell a package including a service contract as indicated by Todd and in fact all of you !

Thanks for all your comments, it looks as if i am on the right track.
  • BenBen Bouncer Posts: 334
    Good luck Terry! Next Gin is on you ;)
    Yes, Terry, You are correct. Customers cannot update things themselves. There is an article in the App Cat Help Center that says something like "don't throw an app at somebody and run"... I love that line! Cracks me up every time!
    But basically, you do all of the editing, updating, photos, Push Notifications, etc for your customers.
    That service contract idea is a great one!!! Stores like Office Depot also carry fairly generic forms that you can use for that too!
    Thanks guys, I am almost there.. have selected target and prepared a generalised App for demo at
    http://appgargle.com/mywinestore.
    Nervous 'cos it my first :)
    =D> Really nice, Terry!!! And your photos came out great! =D>
    @TerryTrainer Break a leg! Let us know how it went.
  • SarahSkinnyGoldSarahSkinnyGold Cigarette Girl Posts: 99
    So how did it go? Share, @TerryTrainer!
    LOL I haven't done that one yet.
    I am involved in an Arts group that runs a shop and meeting place, so gave a demo to one person so as to arrange a bigger demo. Even during that demo three other people looked in and were impressed. so at the moment I am concentrating on that (see gift.cat/bawbawartsalliance). so MAYBE one for the alliance and one for each of the 200 artists? ( thats what dreams are made of LOL)
    Hmmm and what do I charge artists who all plead poverty !
    @TerryTrainer. Remember @JoeMadden1941 and his story about the $800 savings on new equipment for "just" an app in exchange? Barter is always an option. And never forget that every Artist has friends and family who might be perfect clients...
    @ToddGoldstein, LOL I have my eye on those friends and family !!

Working up to a "demo" night to show them what appcat can do. now trying to follow Erics' suggestion for linking to Facebook ( about which I know virtually nothing.)
    Let us know how it went. Keep it simple, trust me!
  • EricEdgeEricEdge Lounge Lizzard Supreme Posts: 274
    Who wouldn't purchase your Wine app. Looks impressive @TerryTrainer.

If I may give you one tip? Clearly know want you want as an outcome before you go so save second guessing and nervousness.

And remember what @ToddGoldstein said, KEEP IT SIMPLE. And lastly, HAVE FUN!

All the best!