Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

5 Years App.Cat - 1 Year Lounge
We started the Lounge because Facebook serves crap Martinis and is too noisy to communicate, learn, and share in a civil manner.
A hefty 1200 contributors and readers make this a great place for App.Cat aficionados. Help us by actively participating in discussions. Grab a drink and grow with us!
New here? This is Support on Steroids! Click to read how the Lounge works...
Welcome to the Lounge
Thousands of posts are at your disposal to find quick answers to questions others have asked before.
Use the search box to find the answer to anything.

Also our Knowledge Base lists hundreds of expertly written articles. Enjoy!
For security reasons -and to provide transparency to non customers- this forum does not use your App.Cat login. Log in here using your previous Lounge password or a social network id to see all topics.
Click to read how the Lounge works...

Data Protection Question

transapptransapp Lounge Lizzard Posts: 26
edited October 2012 in Promote
Hi all,

Loving app cat and my business is growing nicely.

I offer a maintainance option on standing order including 1 free push notification per month.

Here in uk we have strict data protection laws so how in all the data collected and looked after?

Is that app cars job or mine as I obviously don't hold the data.

I'm a bit confused.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Ian

Comments

• perfectpperfectp Lounge Lizzard Posts: 87
    Ian,

What data will you be keeping? I can see you will be other than your clients details which you would have permission for so all good there.
    Cheers

• transapptransapp Lounge Lizzard Posts: 26
    Hi there,
    I mean that a client buys an app from me.
    Then they give that app out and say 2000 of their customers have the app.
    now for the updates on the app to download into the app the mobile numbers must be kept somewhere. I don't have access to them at all.
    When we send a push notifications (and I agree to keep the frequency right down - I refuse to do more than 1 a month for my clients) where are the numbers kept so that the push notification knows where to send to.
    I know this is a bit confusing to explain but the data must be somewhere.
    We are hit big time here in UK if we work out side the data protection laws and I wonder who is the data holder for the apps phone numbers because it definately isnt me yet it is me sending the push notifications.
    Thanks for all your help and, by the way, isn't app cat amazing.
    Ian
  • perfectpperfectp Lounge Lizzard Posts: 87
    Ian,

We are also in the UK and you do not need to worry. You are not holding the data and nor is your client it is actually impossible to know who has there app as friends can pass on without there knowledge.

We have a data protection license for the other side of our business but it does not come in to play with app cat.
    If you need any other advice happy to help
    Cheers
  • MrAppMrApp Lounge Lizzard Supreme Posts: 309
    Hi @transapp we are also in the UK and @perfectp is right, the data protection act only comes into play if YOU as a company are holding the data, in this case app.cat are holding the data.
  • transapptransapp Lounge Lizzard Posts: 26
    Thats all great news and thank you for your help.
    I'm liking this mutual support here in the lounge.
    Ian
  • ToddGoldsteinToddGoldstein Bouncer, Bar Keep Posts: 695
    @transapp. Just a quick note on "app updates": Please remember that when you change your app it automatically updates on EVERY smartphone that has it. There's no need to send out messages or ask people to re-download the app.
    That's the magic of App.Cat apps.
    This also guarantees that you'll only send out messages when there's "real news", not some boring update on design, address, or coupon...
    Welcome to the lounge!